Have you seen those awesome 3D lettering pieces that just seem to pop out of the screen? No I don't mean those overly-edited, digitally made pieces (though they're awesome, that's for sure) but the real thing: carefully hand made and addictive to look at. That's when I stumbled into Sophia, the genius behind @inky.lettering. She's German, she's young and she loves playing the piano. And well, she rocks 3D lettering! So without further ado, check this amazing piece she did for The White Pad! Follow the step - by - step guide and give it a try for yourself! And don't forget to show us your results using #thewhitepad.
3D Lettering Step - by - step:
- Letter the word in a light grey tone, using a brush marker
- Color in the letters and blend in using a water brush till they're smoothly blended. Sophia recommends drawing on a piece of foil to ease the transition.
- Outline the letters with a thin black liner
- Sketch out the 3D effect with a pencil
- Go over the sketch with the black liner, then erase the pencil
- Blend the 3D shadow from the top down and from the bottom up, using grey ink and blending through with a water brush.
- Optional: Add a shadow around the edges using a grey marker if you want a more plastic effect.
And voilà! 3D lettering it is!
Want to see more 3D awesomeness? Follow Sophia on Instagram at @inkylettering.